female:male ratio in K-3 kids

Erin K. Bradley erinb at chiremv.chiron.com
Tue Jan 9 16:42:34 EST 1996

>have a 5 year old daughter in kindergarten in a somewhat rural school
>district.  There are 4 kindergarten classes, each with 22 or 23 children.
>In all these classes, there are only 5 to 6 girls and 16 to 17 boys.  I
>mentioned this to a friend who has a boy in 1st grade in another local
>school district, and she said that the ratio was similar in her son's
>class.  Another friend has the same sort of ratio in her daughter's
>preschool class.  Is this a local phenomenon, or are you seeing this in
>your kid's classes?  What's going on here?  I tried to get birth
>statistics from the county health department but they didn't have them.  I
>am now waiting on statistics from the NYS Health Department.  At this
>point, I view this as a curiosity, but I wonder if we should be getting
>alarmed....

I would like to offer a single data point to the opposite side. My 6 year old daughter
is in a class which is 2/3 female and her elementary school is largely 50:50. We are in
the San Francisco Bay Area, so we are on the opposite side of the continent and there
maybe a local phenomenon. But I would guess that you are in the wings of a normal
distribution, unless the NYS Health department says otherwise.

On an amusing side note, a similar set of postings occurred on the structural NMR net.
The members were commenting that the only consistent "biological effect" they had noticed
from exposure to high magnetic fields was that fathers always had daughters....
which was disproven after a sufficent number of postings.

Erin