Do schools matter in industry?

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Wed Jan 10 10:10:03 EST 1996

Hi!
I don't know much about industry.  I may be able to help on the grad
school thing. I, too fell prey to the idea that I would "lose my edge" if
I did not go straight through.  I wish I had worked a few years.  Ihave
no idea of your age, but I was a "traditional" student, meaning I was 22
when I started graduate school.  Although this seems like I was an adult,
I still had a lot of growing up to do. I think trying to some to terms
with exactly who I was, what I was going to tolerate and how I should
live my life did not make the first two pressure-laden years of grad
school any easier. It didn't help that my first advisor was
certifiable, but at any rate I think that I personally would have done
better if I had gone out and worked for a while. I would have been more
focused for one thing and a lot more self-confident for another. There
were a couple of people who didn't go the "traditional route" at my
institution and they seemed to do just fine.

As far as the financial thing goes, you probably will be able to get a
stipend. They tend to be meager and that may be yet another reason why
you may want to work for awhile. You may be able to find an industry job
with a BS.

Anyhow, that's my $0.02.  I am not saying that working is the best thing
for you, just that in hind-sight, I think it would have been better for me!

Good luck!
Linnea