unsubscribe

dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL
Wed Jan 10 14:49:42 EST 1996

     Janet,

     I subscribe to a number of the biosci newsgroups by e-mail.  The way I
     keep them separate is to have my e-mail software (Lotus' CC-Mail)
     automatically sort them into folders by newsgroup.  You are correct
     that the "FROM:" address is the sender, not the newsgroup, but if you
     look at the "TO:" address it is, at least on my system, the address of
     the newsgroup.  I have my software look for this address when it
     sorts.  CC-Mail is a fairly sophisticated software package, and yours
     may not have this capability, but it is worth a try.  It has certainly
     helped me in the battle against e-mail chaos. :-)

     Good Luck,
     Margaret

Author:  jjoy at nas.edu ("Janet Joy") at Internet-Mail
Date:    1/7/96 11:11

  Someone, I forget who because I deleted the message too soon (oops),
  asked me why I wanted to unsubscribe and urged me to stay on a little
  longer.  The reason I feel a need to unsubscribe is mostly the format.
  Messages I receive from this group are identified by sender and not as
  "womenbio".  This may seem unimportant, but since I receive often 20
  emails a day, many from people I don't know but must respond to asap,
  dealing w/ my email takes a lot of time.  Many times I can't afford the
  time to read the posts from the 4 listgroups to which I subscribe.  If I
  can't delete them all en masse or file them for later reading it just
  gets too burdensome.  I've followed this discussion group for the past 4
  weeks or so and have found few posts of interest.  I'm very interested in
  career issues of young women scientists and happy to offer suggestions
  (having spent 15 years as a research scientist myself--now working in
  science policy).  However, I just don't have time to follow this group.
  If it were structured so that messages were identified by group (not
  sender), readers could be spared the necessity of choosing not to read
  non-work related mail.   This is how every other group to which I
  subscribe is structured (i.e. YSN, ecol-econ, wisenet). Could womenbio be
  set up this way?   As it is, I've had to check all these messages--and I
  do find some of them unnecessarily acrimonious and unconstructive.
  However, if time were not a problem for me I would stay on.   So, my
  unsubscribing is not so much disinterest or annoyance, but simply a time
  management problem due to the way it's set up.

  Janet Joy