Undergrad with lots of ?s

Luciana lfl2k at darwin.clas.Virginia.EDU
Wed Jan 10 21:46:03 EST 1996

I'm a third year biology and political and social thought major
at UVa.  While I love biology, particularly genetics, I got a
late start in my studies (I had originially intended to major
in government and economics, no science).  As a result, I
sometimes feel as if I am behind in the biology program.  At
the moment, my plans are to go on to a PhD and hopefully work
in research.  In the meantime, I was wondering if someone out
in Netland could help with some of my concerns.

1.  What exactly is the grad chool competition like?  I have a
3.59, a list of extracurriculars, and several recommendations
--but I will be taking my first lab beyond intro only this
semester.  I plan to take independent study next year, but that
idea has not yet been fleshed out.  Am I being realistic to
hope to get into a decent grad school, or should I simply apply
to everywhere on earth and hope someone takes me?

2.  Is there actually a market for new biology PhDs out there?
I read somewhere that the biology market is becoming glutted
thanks to large numbers of med-school dropouts.  Does this hold
beyond the bachelor's?

Those are my two most general and most worrisome questions.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Luciana Lopez