Undergrad with lots of ?s

Jenny Davila-Aponte 23144jda at msu.edu
Thu Jan 11 09:20:23 EST 1996

In article <DKzx0s.H90 at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
lfl2k at darwin.clas.Virginia.EDU (Luciana) wrote:

> 2.  Is there actually a market for new biology PhDs out there?
> I read somewhere that the biology market is becoming glutted
> thanks to large numbers of med-school dropouts.  Does this hold
> beyond the bachelor's?

Um, last time I checked, they didn't give people Ph.D.'s for dropping out
of med school.  :)

Seriously, however, the academic job market is indeed tight, and likely to
stay that way for a while.  The basic question you must answer for yourself
is, "Do I love biology and research enough to make large sacrifices to
continue doing it?"  This is not a question you can answer before you know
what research is about.  Before making a decision regarding going to grad
school, get some experience at the bench.  By this, I mean independent
study rather than laboratory classes.

--
Jenny Davila-Aponte
MSU-DOE Plant Research Laboratory