Getting Heard

Sarah L. Pallas spallas at bcm.tmc.edu
Fri Jan 12 14:10:17 EST 1996

Something happened to me the other day which happens often enough that
I'd like some feedback.  I am a tenure-track faculty member and the only
female faculty member of my department.  In a journal club format the
other day, one of the other faculty asked a question of the group.  I
answered the question, being careful to speak loudly and forcefully so as
to be heard.  I was completely ignored.  Immediately, one of the male
faculty exactly repeated what I said, but HE was acknowledged as having
answered the question.  This reminds me of one of my favorite cartoons
where a board meeting is taking place, and one woman plus lots of men are
sitting around the table discussing business.  The woman offers a
suggestion, and the chairman of the board says "That's a great idea, Ms.
Brown, would one of the men care to suggest it?"

So the questions are :
1)  How does one get HEARD in male groups?
2)  How does one respond when one is blatantly ignored for what may be
sexist reasons?  Even if it may be unintentional?

Sarah