Getting Heard

jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu
Fri Jan 12 17:28:19 EST 1996

In article <4d6bmp$7j9 at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, Sarah L. Pallas <spallas at bcm.tmc.edu> writes:
>Something happened to me the other day which happens often enough that
>I'd like some feedback.  I am a tenure-track faculty member and the only
>female faculty member of my department.  In a journal club format the
>other day, one of the other faculty asked a question of the group.  I
>answered the question, being careful to speak loudly and forcefully so as
>to be heard.  I was completely ignored.  Immediately, one of the male
>faculty exactly repeated what I said, but HE was acknowledged as having
>answered the question.  This reminds me of one of my favorite cartoons
>where a board meeting is taking place, and one woman plus lots of men are
>sitting around the table discussing business.  The woman offers a
>suggestion, and the chairman of the board says "That's a great idea, Ms.
>Brown, would one of the men care to suggest it?"
>
>So the questions are :
>1)  How does one get HEARD in male groups?
>2)  How does one respond when one is blatantly ignored for what may be
>sexist reasons?  Even if it may be unintentional?
>
>Sarah
I have seen this happen once too...in this case the speaker was male, the
person who asked the question was male, the first person to answer the question
was female, then another male answered the same thing...and he was
acknowledged...however there was a fair amount of "but wait that's what she
said" whispering going on in the group ( the group was 50/50 male female) This
situation is not common at either of the two places I've done science...in both
places females are listened to and actively encouraged to participate...in this
case I think the speaker was somewhat  biased and it was his choice to
acknowledge answers from the group and he acknowledged the male. I too would
like to know how to address this, if it should happen.

Jen