Getting Heard

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at cco.caltech.edu
Sat Jan 13 12:19:19 EST 1996

Sarah, Jen, Marguerite, et al.,

A related thing happened to me repeatedly in a particular journal club
situation in graduate school.  This situation was different, though, in
that there were a lot of women in it but it tended to be dominated by
a particular man who liked to hear the sound of his own voice.  He was a
"higher ranking" grad student than I, and used to ignore whomever he
pleased, whenever he pleased.  He did listen to higher ranking women (e.g.
the faculty), though.  I wonder if it has to do with the idea that men
are more comfortable in hierarchies, and don't listen to people who are
"lower" in the hierarchy than they are.  I think this is a tough problem,
and would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has dealt with it
successfully.

Thanks,

Karen