get on with it

Pamela Norton pnorton at lac.jci.tju.edu
Fri Jan 19 14:32:10 EST 1996

In article <199601190204.SAA28939 at franc.ucdavis.edu>,
eoshuster at UCDAVIS.EDU (Beth Shuster) wrote:

> On 18 Jan 1996 15:58:41 -0800, p2158740 at acsusun.acsu.unsw.edu.au
> (Marguerite Evans) wrote:
>
> ...snip...
> >Please stop flogging the dead horse and get on with it!
>
>   For those of you new to the group - It is not unusual for discussions to
> last several weeks, or even as long as a month if the people are
> interested.  Nothing forces anyone to read all of the posts in a given
> thread if they get bored before the rest of the group.  Additionally,
> nothing stops anyone from starting a new thread (most of us are capable of
> following several).
>
>   Given the busy lives of most of us, it is often difficult for everyone to
> keep up with the group every single day.  This is especially true after an
> extended holiday (I had over 73 messages waiting for me when I returned
> from break!).  Personally, I have found some of the contributions to the
> thread in the last few days to be very pertinent.
>
> Beth

  I heartily agree with Beth. The thread on public comments by women being
ignored by certain men is precisely on topic for this group and is
unfortunately of extreme relevance to all.

  The comment from another poster (Eric) that women (all people, really)
should take pains to speak clearly and deliberately is a good one. Also, I
have memories of another thread (maybe here?) in which someone noted that
women tend to phrase comments hesitantly, or as questions. I've caught
myself doing it on occasion, and now try make an effort to sound confident
if I'm going to bother to say anything. Hesitant mannerisms can weaken the
impact of your comment (reaction: "If she's not sure of what she's saying,
why should I bother to listen?). I suggest that we should all solicit
comments on our speaking styles, both formal and informal, from
colleagues.

  Sorry, Marguerite, for invading your thread with the one about which you
were complaining, but you failed to raise a new topic to distract our
attention.

      Pam Norton

--
Pamela A. Norton, Ph.D.          Assistant Professor of Medicine
Thomas Jefferson University
Philadelphia, PA 19107           p_norton at lac.jci.tju.edu