get on with it

SLForsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Fri Jan 19 19:19:37 EST 1996

eoshuster at UCDAVIS.EDU (Beth Shuster) wrote:
>On 18 Jan 1996 15:58:41 -0800, p2158740 at acsusun.acsu.unsw.edu.au
>(Marguerite Evans) wrote:
>
>...snip...
>>Please stop flogging the dead horse and get on with it!
>>

>  For those of you new to the group - It is not unusual for discussions to
>last several weeks, or even as long as a month if the people are
>interested.  Nothing forces anyone to read all of the posts in a given
>thread if they get bored before the rest of the group.  Additionally,
>nothing stops anyone from starting a new thread (most of us are capable of
>following several).
>
>  Given the busy lives of most of us, it is often difficult for everyone to
>keep up with the group every single day.  This is especially true after an
>extended holiday (I had over 73 messages waiting for me when I returned
>from break!).  Personally, I have found some of the contributions to the
>thread in the last few days to be very pertinent.
>
>Beth

And, it helps to remember that messages arrive at different news
sites with different timing.  It is not uncommon to see the replies
to a message days in advance of seeing the original message, when
accessing the group by a news host.  I think a little forbearance
is required (and if you want beating a dead horse, over at rec.arts.
theatre.musicals they have been having the "is sondheim or lloyd
webber better?" thread for YEARS now.... ;-)

For those getting their mailboxes stuffed with messages, it's worth
looking into accessing the board through a news host, or
through the web since bionet now has web access; these are alternatives
to being on the email list which provide a less frustrating means
of skipping obtrusive threads.

--susan

susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
http://flosun.salk.edu/~forsburg