women managers

MERTZ at ONCOLOGY.WISC.EDU MERTZ at ONCOLOGY.WISC.EDU
Sat Jan 20 11:37:52 EST 1996

managers:

    I have been a professor at a university for 19 years.  I oversee
my research group in the only style in which I would feel
comfortable: I play the role of scientific "mother" to my scientific
"offspring", respecting them as a whole person and helping them to
grow and mature until them are ready to leave "home" and go off into
the world.  I tell my students at the outset that they should feel
free to come to me to talk about whatever problems they may be
having, personal as well as scientific since an unhappy person can
not learn and work well.  My research group becomes a "family" in
which people share their personal and scientific successes and
failures with the whole group and frequently get together for social
and recreational purposes.  I strongly believe that people work
better, both individually and as a group, when they respect and enjoy
being with their co-workers. (Note: I came-of-age in the "radical"
'60s.)  I would be very unhappy managing my research group as an
impersonal dictator, telling people what they had to do and not
caring about other aspects of their lives that might affect their
ability to function well in their work environment.  When I advise
first year graduate students on how to choose a major professor, I
tell them that professors have many different styles of how they
train students; each students needs to determine which style best
meets their own needs.

    Janet Mertz
    Professor of Oncology
    University of Wisconsin-Madison