interesting....

Marguerite Evans p2158740 at ACSUSUN.ACSU.UNSW.EDU.AU
Sat Jan 20 00:27:47 EST 1996

I cannot help but respond to Lisa Madsen...

> I'm glad you have the time to keep up and respond to posts quickly.
> This is a luxury some of us do not have.
I try to keep up with all email daily - I come in early to do so
and I have read each of the "getting heard" in the hope that there may be
something more constructive than recruiting male conspirators to overcome
the problem!  If men behaved like this (and some do) what would women
think!  I am afraid I don't think it is the answer to the problem (and I
have already said what I think MAY help...) and it saddens me to think
that so many learned women are willing to resort to such tactics!  I
think if someone doesn't wish to acknowledge you/your ideas after you
have stood up, introduced yourself and said what you think, then it's
their loss and a bad reflection on them - not you.

> Later posts under the
>'getting heard' tag have been very enlightning and thought provoking
> for me.  Threads often do last a long time in this group partly
> because there are many different viewpoints.
I am glad you enjoyed it...but it was getting reasonably repetitive
to me...

> If a thread has become
> dull for you start a new one.  Don't read the 'getting heard' one, use
> the subject line as a quick screening of what will interest you.
Good idea....I would actually like to ask women in senior positions (lab
head etc...) about their strategy for people management.  Do you get to
know each of your students/staff on a relatively personal level, or it is
completely professional - what do you find works best for you?  Women
"managers" are no doubt very different to male...but I have only ever had
male "managers".  I would be interested to know - from a woman's point of
view - how they handle different problems in the lab.

I hope I hear from someone....

Cheers,
Marguerite

Marguerite Evans
School of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
UNSW  Sydney  2052
NSW
Australia

voice: (+61)(2)385 2030