managererial styles

Linda Kingsbury lab_sakano at maillink.berkeley.edu
Sat Jan 20 17:31:36 EST 1996

In article <2B8C18A3F66 at guesswork.oncology.wisc.edu>,
MERTZ at ONCOLOGY.WISC.EDU wrote:

> When I advise
> first year graduate students on how to choose a major professor, I
> tell them that professors have many different styles of how they
> train students; each students needs to determine which style best
> meets their own needs.

I would like to hear more discussion about this.  I will soon be looking
for my first postdoc and have come to realize just how big a deal
managerial style can be to a student.  Are there any books, etc. that
list/describe (pigeonhole?) different styles and help you learn to
recognize them quickly, determine which styles are most compatible with
your personality, and advise how to best work with managers of different
types?
Also, any other advice on how to find a good postdoctoral supervisor would
be appreciated.
Thanks!