SLForsburg susan_forsburg at QM.SALK.EDU
Sun Jan 21 16:00:32 EST 1996

M. Doreen Jones wrote:
> It is indeed a sad state of affairs when half the population feels
 > that in order to succeed they must change their behavior to adapt
> to that of the other half...I'm just not comfortable with the
>  whole thing. ......
> .....(snip)............ after 35
>  years I feel that because I want to succeed in my career I
> am being coerced into acting in ways that I find borderline
>  unethical and simply arrogant.

Hear hear!!!!!!!
I feel VERY much the same way and it frustrates me immensely.  why
should I have to act like these people in order to get my
accomplishments recognized?    i dont want to be an arrogant pushy
jerk. The further I go in this profession the more I despair at the
evident necessity of this behaviour and its success.

> I guess my final question to all is:  "Can one succeed in a career
>  without playing hardball?"
I think the problem is that those  with the power and
influence do play hardball, and reward those who behave the same

S L Forsburg
susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
 "I don't speak for the Institute,
 and the Institute doesnt speak for me."