managing people

Carol Auer CAUER at canr1.cag.uconn.edu
Mon Jan 22 15:13:39 EST 1996

Hello

I would also like to hear from people who manage lab technicians and
students.  I am a relatively new faculty member and the only woman
scientist in my department.  I find the management of students and
technicians to be one of the things I like the least.  I have never
had leadership or management training.

What is the
best way to interact with these people?  Do you interact on a
personal level or in a very distant, professional way?  How do you
develop a thick skin for the times when people disappoint you or act
inappropriately?  Is there some kind of training program which helps
develop people/managerial skills?

BTW, I enjoyed the thread about being recognized in groups.

Carol Auer
Dept. of  Plant Science
Univ. of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269