Graduate School, Spatial Autocorrelation, and the Landscape Ecology Conf in Texas

dberger sgrip196 at student1.uwsp.edu
Mon Jan 22 23:27:46 EST 1996

I am relatively new to this newsgroup, however, this one appealed to me
to a good place to start with a few random questions:

1)  Does anyone have any information regarding a Landscape Ecology
Conference in Texas at the end of March?  Or where I could look for such
info.  I am on my way upstairs to the Journals....

2)  I am trying to write my first research paper (I am an undergrad at
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point; majors wildlife and biology) and
am having a difficult time finding people who are familiar with the
application of spatial autocorrelation.  The project works with the
endangered Karner Blue Butterfly and lupine.  Any extra sources or advice
would be very helpful.

3)  I accepted a 2 year position working for the Journal of Wildlife
Management which will give me the opportunity to stay in Stevens Point
and start my graduate coursework here.  I then hope to transfer to a
school (hopefully in the west; I am from Idaho and miss it dearly) to
complete my degree.  I visited Utah State this past week to meet with
professors about graduate school.  Although, it went extremely well, I
still feel confused about the whole process.  I think that my biggest
problem is that I am interested in studying a wide variety of topics from
modeling, working with GIS Landscape type issues, sustainable
development issues, to very physical work (working with fire/mt. goats).
How does someone narrow down what they want to spend a 2 year chunk of
their life studying?  and can anyone give me advice on how they found
their way to their masters degree.

Thanks,

Steph Gripne
sgrip196 at student1.uwsp.edu