managing people

guenzel at mail.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de guenzel at mail.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Jan 24 02:45:19 EST 1996

Last time I visited GB, I bought a book called "How to get a
PhD. A handbook for students and their supervisors" by E.
Phillips & D. Pugh which I found quite helpful for some basic
things. Although most of it is written for the PhD students
rather than for the supervisors, I found it quite helpful, as,
in some parts I found described exactly what happened to me
during my PhD and it "opened my eyes" as to how I might
"manage" my students better.
At the moment I am responsible for two PhD-students, two
students doing a one year research project and one technican. I
try to create a harmonic atmosphere which most of the time is
easy enough, because they usually get on with each other very
well. Yet, I wouldn't like to have it too personal, i.e.
"expecting" them to discuss personal problems in the lab (I
myself always prefered to have other friends outside University
or at least from other Departments and to separate private
things from work). This doesn't mean I wouldn't listen if any
of them asked me to, or wouldn't occationally go out with them
in the evening.
As to the technican, I think I treat her rather the
same as the students, especially as she is the same age or even
younger than the students in the lab. When I first started
working with her, I was extremely nervous about how I would
manage to have her continuously occupied. I was frightened,
that at one time I'd have too much work for her to do and at
other times I would have to say: go and have a coffee for the
next 45 min... It never happened, of course, and now, after
about a year, we are an excellent team.
What I find most difficult at the moment is that one of the
students who just started his project in our lab, is confined
to an electric wheel chair. Although he manages the experiments
well, he needs help eg for making solutions etc. That wouldn't
be a problem, if he would simply tell us what he needed. But he
always seems to think that he is asking for a great favour.
Even if he simply needs having something handed down, it is not
"can you please pass me the..." but "It would be very nice if
you could maybe give me the ..., but only if you have got the
time just now...". As this is quite getting on the nerves of
the other students, I have tried to talk to him, but he doesn't
seem to understand what I mean and why the others think there
is a problem. Although this probably sounds like something
which is easy to solve I find it pretty hard because we are
(over?)-cautious not to hurt his feelings and he is cautious
not to be in our way and I don't know how to get the whole
group to relax a bit.
I would be quite happy if anyone has faced a similar situation
and can give me some advice.
Dorothee