lab management

Carol Auer CAUER at canr1.cag.uconn.edu
Thu Jan 25 13:07:12 EST 1996

Hello

Thanks to everyone who responded about how to manage people in the
research lab environment.  Everyone seemed to mention the importance
of communication.  Nobody had taken any formal management training,
although a few people suggested reading books.  The biggest barrier
to communication is time.  People have to be very efficient in
managing a lab and this means there isn't enough time for everyone to
air frustrations, life problems etc.  A good suggestion was having
weekly lab meetings where the mentor listens and everyone discusses
their problems in the lab.  The mentor does not have to have answers
for everything all of the time.

Comments were divided about how close to be to graduate students.
Some people favored a very caring relationship while others said to
keep a distance.

Finally, it was suggested that interacting with people is a life-long
process and it is never perfected.  Good advice from everyone -
thanks.

Carol Auer
Dept. of Plant Science
Univ. of Connecticut

PS In response to Gus's question about why I am the only woman in my
department -  I wish I knew the answer.  Actually, I would rather not
dwell on that issue and just get on with my work.  Thankfully, there
are other women scientists on campus.