Management Styles....a new thread?

Junhyong Kim Junhyong_kim at quickmail.yale.edu
Thu Jan 25 14:04:35 EST 1996

Hi,

while there might not be a "key" to managing people, I think one of the
most important aspect is separating a person's work from their sense of
self. I try (not always successfully) hard to show my students that I
respect them as a person and that what I say to them in terms of science
does not relate to how I think of them as a person. I believe that this
sense of respect/trust is important in any relationship. After that,
different people have different needs. Some students need deadlines,
some need daily supervision, others need to be left alone. It seems that
it's also important that the students also learn to distinguish their
sense of self from work performance. We know how the world of science is
already full of people who take criticisms of their work as insult to
their ancestors or something.

Another thing, I think that it is also important to have the students
set the goals for themselves whether it's getting a degree, a job,
finishing an experiment--and that they know that they've set the goals.
Then I feel that it's my job to see that they meet those goals even if
it means being hardnosed at times.

Junhyong