Graduate School, Spatial Autocorrelation, and the Landscape Ecology Conf in Texas

Suzanne Moreland moreland at bms.com
Fri Jan 26 11:58:08 EST 1996

dberger <sgrip196 at student1.uwsp.edu> wrote:
>I am relatively new to this newsgroup, however, this one appealed to me
>to a good place to start with a few random questions:

Just a couple comments on your 3rd question.  First, I would try very hard NOT to
chose a school or a postdoc based on geographic location.  You should go to the
place you think would be the best for your career (well known mentor, excellent
program in your area of study, most grants, whatever).  If you've got a great
education from a well-known place, it will make your job search easier and THEN you
can focus on location because, hopefully, you'll be able to choose among offers.
If on the other hand, you chose your place to learn based on geography, you might
be stuck later on.  Second, I don't think it's necessary to decide while an
undergraduate what you're going to do for the rest of your life.  IMHO, the primary
purpose of graduate school is to teach the scientific method.  Once you've absorbed
that, you can use it in any area you choose.  Good luck!

Suzanne Moreland, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmacology
Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute

The opinions expressed are mine alone.