More Post-doc questions...

Rae Nishi nishir at ohsu.edu
Tue Jul 2 17:18:37 EST 1996

I want to clarify my position on the R29s as "postdocs".. Susan is
right that if the application looks like it is not from an independent
investigator the R29 will get torpedoed.  However, in my past three
years on study section I have found R29s from such investigators
receiving scores that were very likely to be in the "fundable" range.
How did they succeed??  1) They had a promise from their institution
(usually in the form of a letter from the Chair of their department)
that this person is guaranteed space of their own should the grant be
funded.  2) Their position as listed on their "Bibliographic Sketch"
was "Research Assistant Professor" not "postdoctoral fellow"; 3) The
project was clearly independent of the former postdoc mentor-- that is,
the application utilized skills of the PI that the postdoc mentor did
not have and the goals of the project were quite distinct from the post
mentor's grant goals and not mere "add-ons" to their project(s).
Remember, however, that different study sections treat such
applications differently.  Mine is rather liberal but there are some
(such as the one(s) that Susan was on) that will automatically "kill"
an R29 that looks like it is from a less-than-completely independent
investigator....

Rae Nishi, PhD
Associate Professor
Dept. Cell & Developmental Biology