Research program/plans for academic positions

Pamela Norton pnorton at lac.jci.tju.edu
Tue Jul 9 17:20:40 EST 1996

In article <31E294A4.167E at picard.niehs.nih.gov>, "Rachelle J. Bienstock"
<rachelle at picard.niehs.nih.gov> wrote:

> When applying for an academic position you are asked for
> an outline of your research program or plans.  How detailed should this
> description be?  Should it be written in a format like a grant proposal?
> How specific and how long should it be?  Should it include equipment
> and budget information?

   I can only speak from personal experience and advice that I received,
as I have not sat on search committees; hopefully someone out there who
has will respond as well.

   Many places specify the length of the desired statement when the
position is advertised. I recall that 3 pages as a max, others requested 1
or 2 pages. Thus, you don't want to write a grant proposal. I was told
that short was best, so you might want to keep it to a single page. Find a
way to work in the various areas of expertise (scientific and technical)
that you have to offer.

   Stay away from budgetary considerations at this stage. It might make
sense to raise equipment considerations in the context of describing the
work...but this could backfire. For instance, if you describe a planned
research program that relies heavily on expensive apparatus, this might
put people off unless they are specifically trying to recruit someone with
this expertise. I would be interested in hearing other folks thoughts on
this matter.

      Pam

--
Pamela A. Norton, Ph.D.          Assistant Professor of Medicine
Thomas Jefferson University
Philadelphia, PA 19107           p_norton at lac.jci.tju.edu