More Post-doc questions...

David Fleck fleck at stripe.Colorado.EDU
Wed Jul 10 02:45:33 EST 1996

In article <31E260A6.41C6 at picard.niehs.nih.gov>,
Rachelle J. Bienstock <rachelle at picard.niehs.nih.gov> wrote:
>Also, I think it is a myth that the postdoctoral period is "training".
>Many mentors expect the postdoc to bring the skills to the lab with
>them, and be producers more than "training" them in new techniques..

Ah, someone mentions my own pet postdoc peeve.  During the year I was
writing my dissertation, I applied for two postdocs in fields similar, but
not identical to, my research. I thought (and my committee agreed)  these
projects would make perfect further extensions of the work I had already
done, explore new, but related, directions, etc., etc.  In both cases, I
came in second - after applicants who already had postdoc experience in
the specific fields of each study.  (And in both cases, the fact that they
had this prior experience was given as the main justification in picking
them.)  "Broadening"?  "Training"?  Bah.  Cheap skilled labor.