postdoc questions

Denni Schnapp ds4 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Jul 10 09:53:44 EST 1996

Where did that idea ever come up that postdocs are "training" positions.
Perhaps in times long past they were regarded as such, but, at least in
the UK, most adverts include phrases like "experience in ... essential"
few state that "experience in ... advantageous" and precious few that
"full training will be given". I have reliable sources stating that post-
doc positions attract hundreds of applicants. Even where training would
be given, the temptation to take on an experienced postdoc and get those
papers published quicker surely is too great. So how does a new PhD ever
get a start in a career?

But I have not been in this game for long. Who knows, maybe I am too
gloomy.

Regards,

Denni (ds4 at st-and.ac.uk)