Research program/plans for academic positions

cboake at utk.edu cboake at utk.edu
Fri Jul 12 13:53:56 EST 1996

In article <31E2C49B.3FA6 at qm.salk.edu>, susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu wrote:

> The research proposal has a couple of jobs to fill.  First, it has to
> explain to the search committee memeber who studies something
> COMPLETELY different why the problem you work on is important,
> timely, and exciting.  Second, it has to summarize what you've done
> previously--so don't shy away from using the first person.  Third, it
> has to
> show that you've thought things through, know where you're going,
> and have ideas of how to get there.

I heartily concur with everything that Susan Forsburg says (but I deleted
the rest to save space).  I have served on several search committees and I
am most impressed by a research statement that I can skim, then decide
whether to read closely.  Keep it short and use lots of headings and
subheadings.  Tailor it to the department where you are applying -- you'll
need to be far more general if you are applying to a Biology dept than to
a Molecular Biology dept, for example.  See if you can make some of your
research make people at the new institution think about collaborating with
you.
  You do not usually need to produce an equipment list until the part of
the interview where you meet with the Dept Chair (unless requested, it is
inappropriate to provide one in the application packet).  Make sure the
list includes approximate prices, that it is prioritized, and that you
point out which items you could get by with on a shared basis.
  Possibly a faculty member at your institution,someone who has recently
served on a search committee, could be persuaded to read your statement
and comment on it.
good luck,
Chris Boake