getting away from the bench

Marc Goldstein magoldst at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 4 00:34:30 EST 1996

Hi Nannette,

	The question you ask is a good one. It took me several months of job
searching to figure out that there were actually a lot of options for
people with PhDs. I found that during my post-doc, the best parts of
my day were when people came to me to ask for help with their
projects. Realizing this, I decided that an applications support
position might be the thing for me, and I started researching the jobs
in this area. One thing led to another, and I wound up getting a great
job with a major equipment manufacturer. I get to do lots of things in
the course of my day. I develop applications for the equipment, I
install it at customer sites and train them, and I aid in the sales
process by providing technical expertise.  Other positions you might
fit into include lab management or core facility management. PhDs can
be very valuable in these slots, but the challenge is a lot different
than the traditional academic track.  Good luck, and email me if you
have any specific questions.

Sincerely,
Marc Goldstein, PhD
magoldst at ix.netcom.com