Teaching experience

jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu
Tue Jun 4 14:30:57 EST 1996

I have a question for you guys regarding obtaining teaching experience. I am
currently a third year graduate student and so far I have been a teaching
assistant for neuroanatomy laboratory course for medical students here in
my institution and I have done some additional teaching at another institution
also laboratory/gross neuroanatomy.... The first position is a more of a TA
position as the lab has two professors as instructors...the second it is
myself and one professor teaching the lab, so a little more responsibility.
I was wondering what the next step in obtaining teaching experience is and
how to go about finding the next opportunity...I work in a medical center
so we have no undergraduates. I would like to tag along with, learn how to
teach more general biology, or neurobiology from a professor who teaches grad
or undergraduate level. Or perhaps to get some experience lecturing....the
stuff I teach now is hands on lab instruction not lecturing. BUt I'm not sure
how to go about finding these types of opportunities. Any suggestions? Also I
have a fellow grad student who would like to get involved with high school
science.....how do you find that type of experience? Should I wait and try to

Any suggestions would be great
Jen