Teaching experience

Karen Wheless wheless at sunchem.chem.uga.edu
Wed Jun 5 18:53:58 EST 1996

jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu writes:

> my institution and I have done some additional teaching at another
institution
> also laboratory/gross neuroanatomy.... The first position is a more of
a TA
> position as the lab has two professors as instructors...the second it is
> myself and one professor teaching the lab, so a little more responsibility.
> I was wondering what the next step in obtaining teaching experience is and
> how to go about finding the next opportunity...I work in a medical center
> so we have no undergraduates. I would like to tag along with, learn how to
> teach more general biology, or neurobiology from a professor who
teaches grad
> or undergraduate level. Or perhaps to get some experience lecturing....

Does your school have evening classes (or a school nearby)?  They are
usually looking for TA's and/or instructors, and even if you are
"officially" working under another professor, often you have a lot more
freedom to do more with less strict supervision.  Plus, classes are
usually smaller, which helps.

Karen
        Karen Wheless          wheless at sunchem.chem.uga.edu
     "Weed - a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered"
                        Ralph Waldo Emerson