creating a good climate for women

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Mon Jun 10 11:20:55 EST 1996

Sarah Boomer wrote:

> I really feel that the entire science career track is
> anti-family and anti-relationship because of the unwritten (or written)
> rules about having to move so many times throughout one's career in
> science.

Rules? I don't _think_ so. Sure, it's maybe more common now for scientists to
move around these days than a couple of decades ago, but there are advantages to
that, too.

> I have known women (and I'm sure there are quite a few men, too)
> who have been denied post doc fellowships because they didn't pick up and
> move across the country (which would have been difficult because of
> family).

Huh? _denied_??? What do you mean? - if you applied for a job across the country,
I'd think you'd realise you had to _go to where the job was_ (doh!). In that case,
you are not being _denied_ the job; you are simply not available to take the position.
God forbid that having a carreer would be _difficult_ or entail any tough _choices_.

> In general, too, it's simply a severe marital strain (someday,
> I'd really like to see the divorce rates among scientists - I'd bargain
> it's pretty darn high). Is this really legal or fair to force one to have
> to prove their ultimate dedication to science by sacrificing everything
> and moving?

Legal? Fair? To have a lab in Maryland and expect someone who applies for
a position with you to _move to Maryland_? I'm not sure what your point is.
No one is _forcing_ you to do anything, as far as I can tell...

> I don't think so.   What can really be done to change this structure?

Maybe the gov't can open national labs in every county in the nation so anyone who wants
to do science can not have the inconvenience (yes, and sacrifice!) of moving.
hahahaha

Look, if you wanted to be a sailor, you'd have to move to the sea, wouldn't you?
If you want to be a scientist, you have to be near a lab which will hire you.
Simple, nyet?

--

Susan Jane Hogarth

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Freddy the Fish

"Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being
taught." -- Winston Churchill

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html