moving around/climate for women

Jane Dorweiler dorwe001 at MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU
Wed Jun 12 14:17:21 EST 1996

Although I understand the concerns voiced on this thread, I would like to play
devil's advocate for a moment.

National Agencies granting fellowships for post-doctoral work are hoping to
cultivate excellent faculty members.  Their rationale for encouraging or even
requiring a relocation may include 1) a different perspective in one's training,
and 2) demonstrated mobility to facilitate accepting the best (or only) faculty
position available upon completion of your post-doc.

Also, someone mentioned Barbara McClintock.  My recollection is that between her
graduate career and her productive faculty career at CSH, she moved around quite
a bit.  Germany, Missouri, California and perhaps more.  For more details, See
the Jan. 94 volume of Genetics for a well-written Obituary by Nina Federoff.
She ended up back at CSH, perhaps in part due to the fact that few others had
any intention of hiring and/or promoting a woman.

Jane

Jane Dorweiler                 **  Regardless of what they say about the
Department of Plant Biology    **  cat, curiosity is a good thing.  It's
University of Minnesota        **  what makes each and every one of us
dorwe001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu     **  a scientist!!