moving around/climate for women

Majumder lab jhmorris at utmdacc.mda.uth.tmc.edu
Thu Jun 13 14:57:47 EST 1996

First of all, as a postdoc myself, I don't make a lot of money (of course,
that's a whole new can of worms).  My husband, who is an engineer, makes
more than twice my postdoc salary, so I don't think it's too unreasonable
to want him to keep his present job.  I have also been turned down for
some fellowships because (among other reasons) I chose my postdoc in the
same institution as I did my graduate work.  I knew from the beginning
that it would be harder for me to get a fellowship, as did my advisor.  My
advisor was basically planning on my inability to get a fellowship, and he
has no problem supporting me.  One's advisor should take that into account
when he agrees to take you on.

Basically, when you don't want to move, you take your chances.  It's a
trade-off, but up to you to decide what to do.

--Julia Hsi Morris
jhmorris at utmdacc.mda.uth.tmc.edu or zzhao at utmdacc.mda.uth.tmc.edu
Dept. of Neuro-Oncology
M.D. Anderson Cancer Center