creating a good climate for women

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Jun 12 10:22:54 EST 1996

Barb Lewis wrote:
> Susan, you misunderstood here. A number of prestigious private fellowships will
> give awards only to people who are moving geographically. Staying at the
> same University, even if switching mentors and departments - is judged to
> be less valuable training than moving to a new location. This is pretty
> much explicitly stated either in the application rules, or in the judging
> guidelines. Having received one of these
> postdoc fellowships (e.g., Helen Hay Whitney, Jane Coffin Childs) is a big
> plus on
> one's C.V. when applying for faculty jobs.

Barb (and others),
Thanks for clarifying this.
I see, and I noted that in an ealier post. _However_, the operative word in your post
seems to me to be the term "private fellowships". Why shouldn't they make whatever conditions
they want? (not _trying_ to be flippant here, I really don't understand). A gov't-supported
fellowship would be different, of course.

--

Susan Jane Hogarth

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Freddy the Fish

"Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being
taught." -- Winston Churchill

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html