minority women in science

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Jun 12 10:13:32 EST 1996

Linnea Ista wrote:

> It is exactly this sort of antagonistic behavior that leads women to form
> "female only" news groups.

Eh?? This is a "female only" newsgroup? What a load of crap - I guess I'd better read the FAQ, or
charter, or whatever...

> Once again I will reiterate the point that this is not a usual usenet group.
> It is women in biology. I view it as kind of a "safe place" to talk about
> what's on my mind.

You can't get much safer than sitting at a terminal, typing ;-)
Or are you talking about emotional safety? Politeness? Are you saying the standards of politeness
should be different for men and women?

> This will be seriously jeopardized if the sort of
> thing we have seen in this thread continues.  Gentlemen, please remember
> that you are in "our" space when you post here and don't be shocked if
> the normal everyday-science-culture-put-down-opponent conversational
> style isn't well received. Many of us live in that world everyday and
> feel very alien and struggle to aapt when we must.

And remember that many of us _don't_ feel alientated, know how to deal with a put-down (and dish
'em out!), and welcome the occasional verbal battle ;-)

> I don't think it is
> too much to ask that you attempt to adapt when coming here!

So everyone should attempt to become "feminine" here? That's gonna be a tough row for me to hoe.
Just let me know if I'm no longer welcome 'cause I'm too "masculine"...

--

Susan Jane Hogarth (who rides a motorcycle and paints her nails - gotta prob with that?)

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Freddy the Fish

"Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being
taught." -- Winston Churchill

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html