multiple moves

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Thu Jun 13 10:12:12 EST 1996

DKAT wrote:
Anyone who can get into Graduate School should be smart enough to
figure out the facts of life themselves.  Women are raised to think of
themselves as children dependent on others.  I've been in academia for
more than 20 years and have never heard such stuff.  Grow up.  DK

___________
Dear DKAT,
Do you always write like this????

As has been discussed in previous threads, most grad students, male and
female, don't understand what they're getting into.  I know students
coming into the master's program at my husband's university, whose
undergrad advisors have told them a masters degree is enough to teach at
the community college level (which in previous threads has been shown
NOT to be the case anymore). Many professors even at research
universities have their heads in the sand about how many positions are
availible at the other end of the pipeline.

The idea of a postdoc was a surprise to me when I started grad
school-basically because everyone advising me (professors, fellow
collegues in government labs) had done their grad work when post docs
were not common, and certainly not 2-3 times 4 years long! (horror
storries, but they do exist).  And grow up?  I was 33 with 3 children
when I entered grad school.  I'm as grown up (and cynical) as they come,
and one of the "smartest" if you go by things like GRE scores.  Please
remember that when you address your comments to a newsgroup, you don't
know who's "in the room".  In this case, you guessed wrong about my
"level of maturity" and intelligence.

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at