minority women in science

jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu
Mon Jun 17 17:03:06 EST 1996

In article <31BEDE9C.1C52 at unity.ncsu.edu>, Susan Jane Hogarth <sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu> writes:
>Linnea Ista wrote:
>
>> It is exactly this sort of antagonistic behavior that leads women to form
>> "female only" news groups.
>
>Eh?? This is a "female only" newsgroup? What a load of crap - I guess I'd better read the FAQ, or
>charter, or whatever...
>
>> Once again I will reiterate the point that this is not a usual usenet group.
>> It is women in biology. I view it as kind of a "safe place" to talk about
>> what's on my mind.
>
>You can't get much safer than sitting at a terminal, typing ;-)
>Or are you talking about emotional safety? Politeness? Are you saying the standards of politeness
>should be different for men and women?
>
>> This will be seriously jeopardized if the sort of
>> thing we have seen in this thread continues.  Gentlemen, please remember
>> that you are in "our" space when you post here and don't be shocked if
>> the normal everyday-science-culture-put-down-opponent conversational
>> style isn't well received. Many of us live in that world everyday and
>> feel very alien and struggle to aapt when we must.
>
>And remember that many of us _don't_ feel alientated, know how to deal with a put-down (and dish
>'em out!), and welcome the occasional verbal battle ;-)
>
>> I don't think it is
>> too much to ask that you attempt to adapt when coming here!
>
>So everyone should attempt to become "feminine" here? That's gonna be a tough row for me to hoe.
>Just let me know if I'm no longer welcome 'cause I'm too "masculine"...
>
>--
>

>Susan Jane Hogarth (who rides a motorcycle and paints her nails - gotta prob with that?)
>
>"Luck is the residue of design." -- Freddy the Fish
>
>"Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being
>taught." -- Winston Churchill
>
>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~sjhogart/public/home.html

I second that! What is "feminine" and what is 'masculine"? In fact most
individual have qualities from both stereotypes. I think rather than asking the
"guys" to adapt when they post here what the first poster is asking them to do
is treat us carefully.. cause afterall we are women and we don't tolerate
confrontation well *sarcasm* I have another message for the guys posting
here...maybe its a radical idea...SAY WHATEVER YOU PLEASE...and be prepare to
get back the same. The world is not an "alien" place for women....come on
people I was born and grew up on this planet too. I don't hide at work and TRY
to adapt. This is my natural habitat and I really comfortable....with both men
and women. They are human beings too afterall.

Jen