good climate

laura a hyatt lhyatt at pegasus.unm.edu
Mon Jun 17 14:13:52 EST 1996

In this vein, I'd be interested in hearing what changes ought to be made
not merely in the culture of science practice, but in science training
(which, of course, inevitably leads to the culture of practice).  More
than half of the women in my grad. program quit without their PhD's
(sometimes getting terminal masters) For men, it's more like 1/3.  Having
been to a women's college, the coed grad. school classroom was a big
shocker; I wasn't used to being talked over, having my comments ignored
by the group, then restated and applauded by others.

What can we do to amend the atmosphere in grad school, which appears to
be a pretty big filter itself, after the family/primary/high
school/college filters have been survived?

Eagerly awaiting responses.

Laura

University of New Mexico	 Madness takes its toll.
Department of Biology		 Please have exact change.
Albuquerque, NM 87131		   <><><><><><><><><><>