multiple moves/mentoring

DK dkat at psych1.psy.sunysb.edu
Wed Jun 19 02:25:45 EST 1996

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996 23:52:56 GMT, you wrote:

>cboake at utk.edu writes:
>> In article <4q0555$dkq at abel.cc.sunysb.edu>, dkat at psych1.psy.sunysb.edu
>> (DK) wrote:

I have no memory of saying this or can I find  it in saved posts
>> > it seems that some serious effort
>> > should be made to make students aware of the facts before they enter
>> > Graduate school.  Being the cynic I am, I doubt Universities would see

>Only naive students enter graduate school without knowing the
>facts and the tough road ahead.  How many women on this
>newsgroup entered graduate school feel they didn't have the
>facts?

Apparently you have missed some of the threads.  I have been demonized
for saying the same thing but in a less mature and polite way (late at
night and feeling bitchy).

I originally stated -

"Am I alone or does this seem like an odd comment and a small child
whining about not getting the moon?  If you are in academia, how can
you possibly expect to not move when you are through with graduate
school or finishing a post-doc?  What does being male or female have
to do with it?  Should they move the University that has a position to
you?   I have known many males and females that have problems getting
positions in the same locations as their significant other.  More
often than not, if you are good and the University wants you, they
make arrangements for jobs for both people.

There is enough sexism to deal with without demeaning it by asking for
impossible things."