moving around/climate for women

guenzel at mail.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de guenzel at mail.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Jun 14 07:18:35 EST 1996

On 14 Jun 1996 00:52:47 GMT, Barb Lewis wrote:

>In article <4ppmgg$o3v at nntp.Stanford.EDU>, roberts at roses (Sydney Roberts) wrote:
>
>> Megan,
>>
>> I'm interested in you observation that more women with PhD's are
>> UNABLE to move because of their husbands' jobs than men because of
>> their wives' jobs.  Is this because of woman with a PhD is more likely
>> to be married to a man with a PhD than the other way around?
>
>Absolutely!  Do a survey of the scientists you know at a given level. See
>how men and women compare in their choices of spouses.
>
>Barb Lewis, email barb at nmrfam.wisc.edu - All opinions are my own!

Another point (at least here in Germany) is, that husbands still tend to
be older than their wives and therefore are in better paid/tenured/etc.
positions. Many couples/families would therefore either have to give
up such a position or to live several hundred miles apart to allow the
woman to do her PostDoc. Most women don't want to take such a risk, maybe
they feel that if it didn't work out well it would all be their fault.
This is probably a major reason why many woman drop out of research after
doing their PhD.

Dorothee