More Post-doc questions...

Chuck Gasser csgasser at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 26 14:43:45 EST 1996

In article <31D17C31.1032 at post.its.mcw.edu>
J Potter <jras at post.its.mcw.edu> writes:

> Now that the post-doc topic has come up, I find that I have questions I
> would like to ask when interviewing but am not sure of their
> appropriateness.  For example, do you discuss how authorship is assigned?
>  What about if you will be allowed to take part of the project with you
> when you leave?  Is it inappropriate to ask how many post-docs s/he has
> mentored and where are all these people today?  How about contacting the
> former post-docs and asking for a reference about the prospective PI?
>
> Any comments?

All of the questions you mention have been asked of me by potential
postdocs and I have been perfectly willing to provide the information.
I have even suggested that candidates contact my former postdoctoral
advisees when they didn't specifically ask.  You should always let the
PI know that you want to contact former postdocs, never do such
research without letting them know or it seems devious.  Always be sure
to ask such questions in a nice manner, i. e. letting them know that
you want to make sure that your hard working dedicated style will fit
well into their research program, NOT that you are accusing them of
being unscrupulous.

Chuck Gasser
csgasser at ucdavis.edu