new topic, working in groups

Kristie Allen kla at RIVERS.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU
Wed Jun 26 17:15:25 EST 1996

Hello,

A good way to penalize slackers in a group working environment was shown
to me in an assignment in undergrad school.  We had randonly assigned
groups so we didn't get to be with students with similar goals (as Jim
says below).  Part of the assignment, however, was to assign a rank to
the effort the other group members had done on the project, thereby
showing the instructor who the real workers were.  Aside from a little
fudging by the "slackers" the teacher could determine appropriate grades
for each of the students.  This would also contribute to a good working
atmosphere among group members.  You knew you had to contribute and be
vocal about it so you could get good scores from the other members.

My 2 cents (since when don't keyboards have a "cent" symbol?  I've never
noticed the disappearance!).

Kristie L. Allen
Environmental Statistics Group
Biology Department