"offers" and "in writing" issues

dkat dkat at psych1.psy.sunysb.edu
Sat Jun 29 18:27:49 EST 1996

Pamela Norton wrote:

>    Another related question: Was she asked to apply for independent
> funding? Many (most?) bigger labs have room for X people and money for X
> minus Y people. It is anticipated that on average, Y individuals will
> obtain a fellowship. It is certainly worth asking a potential advisor
> whether they think you should apply before coming to the lab (depends on
> several things). Some PIs will say you can come, but only if you obtain
> your own funding (risky, but you might want to chance it if you really
> want ot work with this person).
>

>       Pam Norton

A penny's worth of thought.  If you plan on doing research throughout your career,
the earlier you get started writing grant applications the better.  Especially if
you have a successful grant getter on hand for advice.  How you write a grant is very
different than how you write just about anything else.  Just as a job talk done well is
very different than most other talks.  You will be speaking to a diversified audience
and your goal will be to sell yourself.  Also, if you do get funded you will be far more
secure than if you are dependent upon someone else's funding.  It is not usual for
things to go awry but I know of at least one case where the PI badly managed his funds
(gave LARGE lunches) and halfway through the year informed his post-doc that he could not
support him through the rest of the year.  DK