More Post-doc questions...

SL Forsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Sat Jun 29 13:32:04 EST 1996

Rae Nishi wrote:
   ...stuff deleted...
> Some places (mostly medical schools)
> are willing to give such positions out under the condition that you get
> all your salary off the grant and you use space in the mentor's lab,
> but they can be independent enough for you to be credible for an R29.

My NIH study section experience has been that the sort of situation
Rae describes is viewed as what it is (senior postdoc looking for grant
to go on market) rather than a beginning investigator with a real
position getting started.   The study sections DO NOT LIKE IT.
Your mileage may vary, but if the study section is strict about it,
an R29 will get nailed for  lack of a truly independent position and
institutional commitment. A letter from the PI saying you can have
lab space and a different title is NOT enough.

Obviously I disagree with Rae on this one.  IMHO, given that the first
year of an independent position is excruciatingly slow, it's a better
time to be writing grants than wasting the most productive lab time you
will ever have (your postdoc).

So, with this as with everything else, seek a lot of different viewpoints
before  making a decision ....there is no hard-and-fast rule or
preference!

-- susan

Susan L Forsburg PhD
MBVL, The Salk Institute