Mary Jane N. Shroyer natherm at
Fri Mar 1 15:15:39 EST 1996

On 29 Feb 1996, Galloway Cynthia M wrote:

> I don't know what it stands for but, after brainstorming over coffee this
> morning, we came up with the following:
> Since Ms. is used whether a person is Married (M) or Single (s), the
> designation Ms. seems appropriate.

Yep, very close!  Think about a man's title...Mr.  It doesn't give one a
clue as to his marital status.  Ms. evolved for the same reason.  It can
be used to address any woman, whether single, married, or divorced.

Mary Jane N. Shroyer		"Next week there can't be any crisis.
Dept. of Microbiology		 My schedule is already full."
Oregon State University		 		--Henry Kissinger
Corvallis, OR			natherm at, natherm at