presenting our work

Eric Fairfield fairfiel at trail.com
Fri Mar 1 10:11:53 EST 1996

Dr. Norton,

This is a critical point.  I too have seen people lose jobs for
presenting themselves as knowing more than they do.  They have also lost
jobs for presenting only part of what they know.

The most memorable case for me was a student who told me for an hour
about how some experiments MUST be done.  He did not accept suggestions
for a different approach.

What he had not taken the time to find out was that only one person in
the world had ever gotten these experiments to work and that I was that
person.

As usual, you need to know what you are doing.  The cost of mistakes is
too high.

Eric Fairfield, Ph.D.
President, Fairfield Enterprises