Curious...

Drmarts drmarts at aol.com
Fri Mar 1 09:46:05 EST 1996

In message <1996Feb29.175207.10835 at alw.nih.gov>,
rachelle at picard.niehs.nih.gov (Rachelle J. Bienstock) wrote:

>>>1)  there was an excellent article in the January or February issue
of American Scientist about women in science (it is the flesh colored
issue
with a picture of a chimp or gorilla on the cover).  <<<
<snip>

Flesh-colored? What color is that? pink? tan? beige? brown? dark brown?
reddish brown?  that lovely blue-black color of some African people? that
scary purplish-red color of Northern Europeans who have been out in the
sun too long?

I don't mean this as a flame - just wanted to point out how subtle these
"isms" (racism, classism, sexism, ageism, etc.) are, and how well we've
_all_ (myself included) internalized them. I know Rachelle didn't mean to
be racist, but it's a good example of how well we all internalize
oppression.

Sherry