Jokes, agression, etc.

matkisso at opal.tufts.edu matkisso at opal.tufts.edu
Fri Mar 1 15:51:26 EST 1996

Several of these threads have been informative and fun, and I just wanted to
add my 0.02.

For several years I worked as a "roadie" -- someone who handles the equipment
for live music performances.  I did everything: loading trucks, stacking
speakers, climbing lighting trusses, throwing drunks off the stage.  It was
a male-dominated field, which turns out to have been good training for science.
(Learning how to solder has come in handy, too.)

Back then I wore my hair in a mohawk, and was often mistaken for a young man.
Sometimes I was asked outright whether I was a boy or a girl.  I stole my
response from the movie "Carwash."

"Honey, I'm more man than you'll ever *be*,
and more woman than you'll ever *get*!"

I'm a bit less obnoxious these days, but there are times when the sentiment
runs deep.

Peg.