Curious...

Patricia S. Bowne pbowne at omnifest.uwm.edu
Sat Mar 2 18:37:23 EST 1996

I really liked Cathy's answer - ethnicity usually is a
non-issue in my classes and workplace, too. But sometimes
it's specifically raised, in discussions of diversity
and access to services. It usually seems also that the
persons who think to raise it are most likely to be
offended if the wrong terms are used. What's the best way
to participate in these discussions? I've been in some
situations where as soon as the issue of diversity was
raised, everyone who didn't identify with an oppressed
minority just shut up and looked guilty. Nobody wanted
(or at least, I didn't want-) to be the first one to use
an incorrect word.

Pat Bowne