Curious...

Robin Panza panzar at clpgh.org
Mon Mar 4 05:44:03 EST 1996

In article <4h72jd$jvt at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, drmarts at aol.com (Drmarts) writes:
> In message <1996Feb29.175207.10835 at alw.nih.gov>,
> rachelle at picard.niehs.nih.gov (Rachelle J. Bienstock) wrote:
> of American Scientist about women in science (it is the flesh colored issue
> <snip>
>
> Flesh-colored? What color is that? pink? tan? beige? brown? dark brown?
> reddish brown?  that lovely blue-black color of some African people? that
> scary purplish-red color of Northern Europeans who have been out in the
> sun too long?

None of those are the color of flesh, although they are the colors of human
*skin*.  Flesh is muscle, a dark red, slightly purple, in humans and most other
mammals.  In birds, reptiles, and amphibians, it tends to be more pink than
purple-red.  In other species it can be other colors (a lovely, if unpalatable,
turquoise in the fish called Cabazon).

Using the term "flesh" to refer to a light, pinkish beige is not un-PC, since
there are no humans with muscle tissue that color.  It is the name of a crayon
put out by Crayola, the source for many of us for our color terminology.  B-)

Robin P.		panzar at clp2.clpgh.org