Curious...

Jennifer Potter jras at post.its.mcw.edu
Mon Mar 4 19:26:44 EST 1996

Cathy Quinones wrote:

> MY pet peeve is when people try to convince me that I can't possibly be Puerto Rican, because I don't "look" or "sound" like
one.  I usually ask "Have you ever been to Puerto Rico?" and the
answer is "No, not really..." I'm sure some people mean well, but
it's a bit disconcerting to have someone stand there and try to
shove their own stereotypes in your face!

This probably won't add much to the discussion (except maybe a
laugh), but when I was in college, a Puerto Rican student once
was asked what their currency looked like....she ran out into the
hall looking for a dollar to borrow from someone.