PC

Sabine Dippel sabine at hlrz24.zam.kfa-juelich.de
Tue Mar 5 10:12:49 EST 1996

There is such a thing as being too politically correct, and I hate to
see how people here keep fighting about how to name things in the right
way as not to offend anyone. All this talk about how to label all kinds
of ethnic groups in my opinion rather promotes seeing them as different,
than just as Americans. Over here in Europe, people really view this
overly PC attitude of many Americans just as ridiculous (right, Sarah?).

To add on how hard it is to classify people - I just had a discussion
about this with a colleague who is Brazilian, but looks (due to his heritage)
very scandinavian. When he spent some time in the US, and when people asked
for his nationality, he usually said "American, and of the best kind" to
show them how ridiculous all this grouping and subgrouping is - these
"Americans" don't even get their nationality right, but worry about calling
someone latin-american who looks like a scandinavian.

Now go ahead and flame me.

Sabine